Guide Expansion

Suroks

Hello everyone,

I believe it would be a great idea to expand the guides section by adding more sub-categories. Examples could be Money Making Guides, Minigame Guides, Forum Guides and Miscellaneous Guides. With time there could be an even greater expansion to include e.g. Quest Guides, Video Guides and more. I also believe it would be a great idea to add some sort of pinned (Gilded/Golden?) guides that features the most detailed and structured guides.

Personally I find it easier with the 2 specific sub-categories and the main category that could house the other more miscellaneous guides. At least I know for sure if I'm looking for a skill guide then I'll find it and a PVM guide I'll find it and all else will be under the general guide category. I can't imagine that there will be such a crazy amount of guides that we will need to branch out. 

I'd love to see ALL guides come with some kind of video component but of course I wouldn't ask that to be a requirement because not everybody has the appropriate set-up to do that. 

I heavily support keeping the appropriate guides highlighted and pinned like the clue scroll guide when it comes out, raids guides, those kind of common ones because we know that people are going to be going for those the most! ?

siggy.png

Scythes: 0                     T-bows: 0                     Purples: 0 

6 hours ago, Cox said:

Personally I find it easier with the 2 specific sub-categories and the main category that could house the other more miscellaneous guides. At least I know for sure if I'm looking for a skill guide then I'll find it and a PVM guide I'll find it and all else will be under the general guide category. I can't imagine that there will be such a crazy amount of guides that we will need to branch out. 

I'd love to see ALL guides come with some kind of video component but of course I wouldn't ask that to be a requirement because not everybody has the appropriate set-up to do that. 

I heavily support keeping the appropriate guides highlighted and pinned like the clue scroll guide when it comes out, raids guides, those kind of common ones because we know that people are going to be going for those the most! ?

If you look at other servers that have lasted for about a year with higher player count you'll notice that almost all sections have 2-3 pages or more. The problem is that people don't always comment on the guide that they are using or like, meaning that a really detailed and structured guide can be at page 7. With more sections, we will ensure that it is easier to find guides for those that are looking after them. Isn't that the whole point of having sub-categories?

55 minutes ago, king said:

You missed pking, if we get more people into it, more people would be in the wild 

I don't think there will be many PKing Guides seeing how OSRS has a very basic combat system :L

7 minutes ago, Suroks said:

I don't think there will be many PKing Guides seeing how OSRS has a very basic combat system :L

My g, you obviously don't pk. There are multiple styles, basic in theory but the combinations & styles are all polar opposites. Someone who can F2P range/2h may want to learn the other end of the spectrum and try out Maxed NHing ect. The biggest reason people are put off pking is they 'havn't done it before' or the incentives aren't good enough (osrs). Trust mee

3 hours ago, king said:

You missed pking, if we get more people into it, more people would be in the wild 

Realistically speaking, noone will create a guide for pking - maybe for wilderness stuff but that falls in the PVM category. Learning to PK comes with experience. There are many videos out there which show different styles of pking and I believe that is enough.

16 hours ago, Suroks said:

If you look at other servers that have lasted for about a year with higher player count you'll notice that almost all sections have 2-3 pages or more. The problem is that people don't always comment on the guide that they are using or like, meaning that a really detailed and structured guide can be at page 7. With more sections, we will ensure that it is easier to find guides for those that are looking after them. Isn't that the whole point of having sub-categories?

True, but I came from the owners' other server and it's the same dealio there and it's perfectly fine (and probably has more content since it's a combination of OSRS and pre-EOC).

Sometimes when you add too many sub-categories people start to avoid forums because you get lost down a rabbit hole. No one wants to search through the PVM section to find an ice demon guide and turns out they posted it in video guides so now you gotta go through there too, you know what I mean? It's better if it's just PVM, skilling, miscellaneous. If you're going for a price guide then you know it's not gonna be PVM or skilling for example. If you're going for the clue scroll guide you know it won't be PVM or skilling, etc. 

Edited by Cox

siggy.png

Scythes: 0                     T-bows: 0                     Purples: 0 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • forum moderator logoJulia locked this topic