Early game improvements

meso dizzy

• Global Moderator

One of the biggest problems I have noticed with new players on this server is that many of them find the early game overwhelming and struggle with getting to a point where they can start learning bosses. These are some ideas I have that can help make the beginning of the game feel a little easier for players who might not have a lot of experience with PvM/account progression.

• Idea 1: The Traveling Merchant

A new diversion that will randomly spawn in a variety of locations and announce in chat. It will be an NPC similar to wandering trader except this NPC will offer the first x amount of players an easy or hard task where they will have to gather some sort of skilling resource, craft x amount of a type of rune, or collect x drop from a slayer mob and trade it in for gold. These tasks should take anywhere from 20 mins - 1 hour to complete instead of being fast like townboard tasks that want you to collect 40 magic logs. 

Because these items will have to be gathered yourself (similar to how townboard works), the payouts should be higher than selling items to wandering trader would be. Rewards should vary depending on the task given but the payouts should all have a sweet spot that attracts early/mid game players but isn't enough to make end game players partake in it. If an endgame player can make 50m/hr bossing efficiently then allowing for example 10 players to make ~5m each from these tasks wouldn't be too detrimental to the eco either. 

• Idea 2: Daily Achievements

Make a new interface for daily achievements that can be completed on only one account per ip/uuid every 24 hours. I think there should be anywhere from 3-5 achievements that can be done for 10m gp. These achievements can involve skilling and pvm. 

• Idea 3: Custom Quests
    • these quests would give players an improved sense of direction in how to improve their accounts by requiring different skilling levels to complete them. 
    • The rewards would help players advance from a fresh account a little easier while not being too op/cheesy. 

Custom quest 1:  Beginner's weapon

There is an NPC that has made blueprints to a weapon but they were lost/stolen and they need your help. There would be some sort of dialogue option after telling the NPC you found one of the blueprint pieces where the player gets to decide if the weapon was a bow/staff/melee weapon. After finding all 3 pieces of the blueprints the quest NPC would then ask for your help creating it and the player would have to gather certain resources and smith/craft that weapon. 

These weapons would degrade after X amount of uses in combat and could either be entirely custom or they could be things like a "beginner's abyssal whip" that disappears after 500-2k hits. 

Depending on which weapon the player chooses there would be a required smithing, fletching, crafting, or magic level that is needed to combine/create the weapon. 

Custom quest 2: Finding treasure

An NPC's father dies and he discovers a book on his father's bookcase that talks about a treasure he buried. The player obtains the book which has the instructions in it for how to locate the buried treasure. It could have different hints to locations where you find a key for example that is used in getting to the treasure. Or it could lead you to different NPCs that provide you information/items to help with getting the treasure. Once you find it and complete the quest you would receive a bit of gp as well as some xp lamps that can be used on any skill of your choosing. 

Accessing the hidden tomb where the treasure is buried should require levels in thieving (to get in), agility (to get past traps), and firemaking (to light a object in the room that makes the area visible). 

Suggestion 1.  

Nobody really does town board because they like it. They are forced for the huge benefits. Hence a small amount gp wouldn't be really appealing to most of players = dead content

Suggestion 2.

Heavily vulnerable to possible abuses - potential eco floater

Suggestion 3.

Too tidious,  most of us know the efficient ways to progress account

Sorry 😞

On 9/10/2022 at 7:43 PM, Zazaa said:

Suggestion 1.  

Nobody really does town board because they like it. They are forced for the huge benefits. Hence a small amount gp wouldn't be really appealing to most of players = dead content

Suggestion 2.

Heavily vulnerable to possible abuses - potential eco floater

Suggestion 3.

Too tidious,  most of us know the efficient ways to progress account

Sorry 😞

I think you're missing the point of this. They are suggesting this to be a thing for NEW players, I also do not agree with the second suggestion. But I do believe 1 & 3 could be good for new players. As one, a new player has ZERO idea how to efficiently play the server. They do not know the meta routes to take and train / grind for money and gear wise. I run into new players quite often who ask the same thing " how do i get money and gear" and the only answer they get is "do slayer". Sure, slayer is okay, but it's not efficient as they have no idea about the server at all yet. Having them be able to do a hand full of tasks to make 10-15m would be nice, they would be able to get their hands on basic gear without begging. I do think if this was to ever become a thing though we would need a raw coin dump. Something else to take coins out of the eco like Doom does with items. 

5 hours ago, group altt said:

I think you're missing the point of this. They are suggesting this to be a thing for NEW players, I also do not agree with the second suggestion. But I do believe 1 & 3 could be good for new players. As one, a new player has ZERO idea how to efficiently play the server. They do not know the meta routes to take and train / grind for money and gear wise. I run into new players quite often who ask the same thing " how do i get money and gear" and the only answer they get is "do slayer". Sure, slayer is okay, but it's not efficient as they have no idea about the server at all yet. Having them be able to do a hand full of tasks to make 10-15m would be nice, they would be able to get their hands on basic gear without begging. I do think if this was to ever become a thing though we would need a raw coin dump. Something else to take coins out of the eco like Doom does with items. 

This is age old question that people are asking in any server doesn't matter what you'll add to the game this question still would be asked. I'd disagree that slayer is the only moneymaker. People are just too lazy to explain new players content they could do instead of the basic route of slayer and the easiest answer is to say "slayer" as it isn't a false answer.  I find that the first and third suggestions are kind of a ripoff townboard/travelling merchant we currently have with a LITTLE twist added to it. Town board tasks already can net you gp. You're not supposed to get mad rich early game and honestly if you beg for money at home you won't get too far with the game anyways. 

+1 to the suggestion.

Maybe work on #2, I do like the idea of daily quests, however as mentioned this could cause mass gold to come into the eco + cause inflation, as it's easily abusable with alts. Maybe a lower amount of GP, or perhaps skilling supplies in it's place (maybe not accessible to Irons?) would be great.

As from first hand experience, the early game is a very iron man like experience anyway, due to having to gather the low end supplies such as logs/herb seeds/raw fish etc etc yourself. 

Overall though great idea & would love to see some more opinions on this!