Regarding Elite Iron Maxing Competition

Bunny

1 minute ago, November said:

I'm implying a very unknown method that isn't meta in osrs would go unnoticed regardless of who maxed it already, hence why some people maxing it and then reporting it seems more than enough reasons for it to not be "fixed" since it IS a race.

It was a publicly available method and not at all unknown. I had seen it discussed many many times in a number of clan chats. At the very least, since Zara released his video, the hundreds of players who have been in his cc and chatting throughout the week knew as well. The insinuation that we used this method and then reported it to the developers relies on it actually being unknown, and it wasn't. Additionally since it wasn't mentioned or disapproved of, or patched in the week after it was used in the 80/50x ironman race means it had the definition of tacit approval.

I am 100% for a level playing ground, and since the topic of making adjustments to the meta as a result of a patch mid competition came up, it's only fair to also start a discussion around the other methods that were changed. It really is only fair, after all.

Your suggestion that I knowingly abused an unknown mechanic and then reported it to the developers is completely false. I used a method I'd seen discussed many times, under the assumption people were avoiding it solely because of the high intensity required to perform it efficiently over the 16-18 hours it was calculated out to take (supplies and then actually using the materials). I didn't report anything because lots of people already knew and it had the aforementioned tacit approval. A competition was completed with this being a major factor, as I believe the first people to max (Zara, A Moist Nun, and Gnars [i think he was 3rd]) all used this method.

Funnily enough, the proposed adjustment actually provides an advantage to the other racers, as it'll be cheaper and faster for them to max construction. If you look back, you'll see that in my initial reply to this thread I said I was an advocate for reimplementing the method.

Surely you can't think that waiting nearly a week and then doing something that was talked about all over the place is the hallmark of someone trying to abuse a mechanic and get it removed before the competition can do it.

Given the amount of +1s that rapidly came into this thread (which was created rather quickly after the patch), despite the fact that it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, I think it should be proof enough that this was a well known method others just hadn't gotten around to doing.

Not doing anything about this, whether its making an additional method or reimplementing the original method, and not doing anything about the other methods that were patched, is only going to further harm the competitive integrity of this race. All this is doing is instilling a fear of missing out in competitors, leading to future methods being more likely to go unreported or unknown, and performed much faster than the nearly week-long delay between becoming public knowledge and subsequent patch.

45 minutes ago, FAQ said:

Funnily enough, the proposed adjustment actually provides an advantage to the other racers, as it'll be cheaper and faster for them to max construction. If you look back, you'll see that in my initial reply to this thread I said I was an advocate for reimplementing the method.

Incorrect actually. The glassmaking was the cheapest source of 99 construction costing less than 100 gp for 26 molten glass, which could be made in 2 minutes via buying the items > glassmaking, that 26 molten glass can then be used for 1.4k per 2, so 1,400 * 13 = 18,200 xp in 2 minutes of work, that equivalates to cutting 18 mahogany logs, which normally takes more than 2 minutes, plus making them into planks would still be 1k per plank. 

1090717293_bunsig.png.78b45fd2e25c2d4363ceaf834cf8666a.png

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Bunny said:

Incorrect actually. The glassmaking was the cheapest source of 99 construction costing less than 100 gp for 26 molten glass, which could be made in 2 minutes via buying the items > glassmaking, that 26 molten glass can then be used for 1.4k per 2, so 1,400 * 13 = 18,200 xp in 2 minutes of work, that equivalates to cutting 18 mahogany logs, which normally takes more than 2 minutes, plus making them into planks would still be 1k per plank. 

Not if you get your buckets of sand from the sandstone quarry instead of running between the charter ship and back, since its a couple hundred per inventory @ 500 gp each bucket.

Additionally the construction time was much longer for the molten glass method.

Edited by FAQ

Just now, FAQ said:

Not if you get your buckets of sand from the sandstone quarry instead of running between the charter ship and back, since its a couple hundred per inventory @ 500 gp each bucket

6 mahogany planks will cost you 6k gp (providing the 10x decrease) and provide 6k xp.

12 buckets will cost 6k + 12 seaweed would be like 2 gp ea, 6024 gp spent. Creating the molten class you get more than just those 12, on average you'll get 14-15 for that. 6024 spent, you received 7k-8k xp and its still quicker than the mahogany logs. Again cheaper and quicker still, why argue this?

1090717293_bunsig.png.78b45fd2e25c2d4363ceaf834cf8666a.png

spacer.png

@Bunny Well, that checks out. Good shout. Admittedly, the lack of sleep may be impacting my ability to do math effectively. 

I'll concede on the point that it may be an advantage to those who haven't maxed construction yet as it doesn't appear to be. I still believe we're both on the side of something needing to be done to make construction equally available. 

I'm still hoping something can be done about the other skills that had methods that were patched, as the half-day+ additional grinds definitely add up.

Edited by FAQ

The cost of construction using planks currently is not an issue at all. I don't understand all of the complaints about this. Ironsky outlined costs for using planks in his post, and there's no reason at all if you max the rest of your skills efficiently, that you wouldn't have more than enough gp to plankmake at the current costs in an efficient manner. Construction is SUPPOSED to be a money sink.

Now, most importantly, the main point of this topic is about the EIM competition apparently, and it's now clear with the highscores that this isn't even an issue. At the time I'm writing this, both myself and Mike have not used either of the methods outlined, as we both have Construction and Smithing left to finish. It appears that FAQ may have taken advantage of the early Blast Furnace, and TheJacob may have used glass for Construction, but it's clearly not put anybody way ahead of their competition.

Though I was unaware of the efficient method to collect a large amount of buckets of sand(I just watched Zara's video detailing his methods), I have seen planks as a MUCH more efficient method of 99 Construction anyways. There are plenty of ways that you can end up with 50m to spend on construction by the time you finish the rest of your skills. If that's not the case, then you've progressed your account inefficiently.

Edited by SRS

• 1 year later...